• View Profile
Dominar 400 ECU updates and Update 117 Initial impressions
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:52:54 PM »
Update History of my Dominar 400
110 ? Came with the bike
112 ? Done in May 2017
116 ? Done in July 2017
117 ? Done in June 2018

Why I opted for ECU updates whenever they were available?
1.   Mindset
I?m a tech savvy guy, be it a laptop, mobile or any device I use, I never step back from trying even beta versions (after researching about their pros and cons)
When coming to OEM ECU updates, they will come through lot of Quality checks and the Dominar ECU being programmed by Bosch, the brand I trust most when coming to automobile electronics, there should be some glitch fixed by a stable update
(This is what I think about a new ECU update)
So I never step back from updating ECU when it comes from the OEM.

2.   Performance Issues in the bike
I always felt the power delivery is not linear in the bike. There were minor jerks, throttle lags in the lower RPM range upto 4.5K RPM, uneven idling speed (Even while test riding, still I bought it because I loved the bike)
My bike riding is split like (ODO basis, City 40: 60 Highway) (sitting on saddle basis, City 60: 40 highway)
The performance issues where are always 1.5K RPM to 4.5K RPM (90% city riding will see this RPM range)
After riding the bike for about 2000KM, I got to know that there is an update for ECU (112)
ECU 112 update story:
I jumped to SC to get it updated, fought with Popular Bajaj because they denied updating it, on top told some sh*t about the ECU updates, I literally ran to Khivraj and got it updated  ;D
Power increased, so as the bike heating and mileage dropped, tested well on city and highway but bike continued to be more aggressive. (Literally I did not like the update 112)
ECU 116 update:
I got to know from social media that the bikes shipped after late May 2017 are way more refined and those are running on latest ECU mapping, I have enquired with Mr. Senthil from Khivraj and he was very cooperative to check and get back to me the next day saying its available, again I left all work and wen to SC to get it updated.
After this update I felt the bike is way smoother, runs cooler and fuel efficient too. In the DOCB TG group, recommended everyone to get their ECU updated.

ECU 117 update and initial impressions:
From the 116 I have updated to 117 on 23 June 2018 after our DOCB Gupshup meet.
Frankly did not feel any difference for the first few min of riding or any difference in highway during our WMD ride because in highways it was always awesome  :)
BUT
The difference I noticed during my regular office commute today.
I use the same route, and I felt the power delivery is so smooth compared to earlier days, the throttle response is crisp and in the stop go traffic, no jerks at all, bikes revs so linear.
If you ride a lot in city, I suggest you get the update done, you will feel the difference for sure.
Will add updates about fuel economy later.

Thank you for Reading a long post :) any improvement suggestions are welcome as its my first post ;)

Update 11 July 2018
After riding the bike for 500Kms in city and doing 2 fuel fillups

Mileage remains almost same (23kmpl in city)
Lot smoother and lot better acceleration than the early days
can ride jerk free @6th gear at around 50kmph, earlier this was impossible
Braking remains same
Speedometer is same as before, 5th gear redlines at 142KMPH, earlier also it was same

Offline Sangeeth G

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Dominar 400 ECU updates and Update 117 Initial impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 05:02:28 PM »
Bhaai, Was there any noticeable sound change on the engine after the update ? This was something being said on the recent update.

Offline Nelsdias11

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »
I have not observed so close bro, will keep you posted.

Offline Nikhn

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
I concur here. Drastic improvement in city conditions. Earlier it would struggle to pull and vibrate a lot when pulling from 2nd gear. Now it just flies. Vibrations have also come down quite a bit. Glad I took up the update. However, it is to be noted that I updated from the stock 110 version.
Honda Aviator (2012-2014), KTM RC200 (2014-2017), Dominar 400- (2017- present), Duke 390 (2017-present)

Riding is not my passion, it is my motivation.

Offline Sangeeth G

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 12:14:55 AM »
What about the speed limit ? There was some reviews stating rpm limit is set as well !!

Offline Nikhn

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What about the speed limit ? There was some reviews stating rpm limit is set as well !!

RPM limit has increased to 9500 for me. Just verified yesterday.
Honda Aviator (2012-2014), KTM RC200 (2014-2017), Dominar 400- (2017- present), Duke 390 (2017-present)

Offline Nelsdias11

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »

Its unchanged for me.. Same as earlier bro.. You can go all the way till some 162 or more..
As Nikhil already quoted it was 9500 before for me and now also remains same..

Offline Sangeeth G

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 02:56:08 PM »
Thanks guys  :) . Still waiting for some more reviews before going ahead to update to 117.

Offline prasul

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »
Update History of my Dominar 400
110 ? Came with the bike
112 ? Done in May 2017
116 ? Done in July 2017
117 ? Done in June 2018

Why I opted for ECU updates whenever they were available?
1.Mindset
I?m a tech savvy guy, be it a laptop, mobile or any device I use, I never step back from trying even beta versions (after researching about their pros and cons)
When coming to OEM ECU updates, they will come through lot of Quality checks and the Dominar ECU being programmed by Bosch, the brand I trust most when coming to automobile electronics, there should be some glitch fixed by a stable update
(This is what I think about a new ECU update)
So I never step back from updating ECU when it comes from the OEM.

2.Performance Issues in the bike
I always felt the power delivery is not linear in the bike. There were minor jerks, throttle lags in the lower RPM range upto 4.5K RPM, uneven idling speed (Even while test riding, still I bought it because I loved the bike)
My bike riding is split like (ODO basis, City 40: 60 Highway) (sitting on saddle basis, City 60: 40 highway)
The performance issues where are always 1.5K RPM to 4.5K RPM (90% city riding will see this RPM range)
After riding the bike for about 2000KM, I got to know that there is an update for ECU (112)
ECU 112 update story:
I jumped to SC to get it updated, fought with Popular Bajaj because they denied updating it, on top told some sh*t about the ECU updates, I literally ran to Khivraj and got it updated  ;D
Power increased, so as the bike heating and mileage dropped, tested well on city and highway but bike continued to be more aggressive. (Literally I did not like the update 112)
ECU 116 update:
I got to know from social media that the bikes shipped after late May 2017 are way more refined and those are running on latest ECU mapping, I have enquired with Mr. Senthil from Khivraj and he was very cooperative to check and get back to me the next day saying its available, again I left all work and wen to SC to get it updated.
After this update I felt the bike is way smoother, runs cooler and fuel efficient too. In the DOCB TG group, recommended everyone to get their ECU updated.

ECU 117 update and initial impressions:
From the 116 I have updated to 117 on 23 June 2018 after our DOCB Gupshup meet.
Frankly did not feel any difference for the first few min of riding or any difference in highway during our WMD ride because in highways it was always awesome  :)
BUT
The difference I noticed during my regular office commute today.
I use the same route, and I felt the power delivery is so smooth compared to earlier days, the throttle response is crisp and in the stop go traffic, no jerks at all, bikes revs so linear.
If you ride a lot in city, I suggest you get the update done, you will feel the difference for sure.
Will add updates about fuel economy later.

Thank you for Reading a long post :) any improvement suggestions are welcome as its my first post ;)
Good info

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline DC

• +1/-0
  • One Life Live It
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 09:46:12 PM »
Thanks for the details on the 117 update, mine is the stick ECU version and till date had no issues so far bike runs fine with good economy. Hence I'm still thinking weather to update or just leave it as it is as the bike is used to it. Will seek for some advice before I plan to update .

Offline Nelsdias11

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 10:03:56 PM »
Thanks for the details on the 117 update, mine is the stick ECU version and till date had no issues so far bike runs fine with good economy. Hence I'm still thinking weather to update or just leave it as it is as the bike is used to it. Will seek for some advice before I plan to update .
Hi DC.. As you are planning for a Leh ride, I suggest you to ride any of ours bike which is updated to 117.
Trust me its really good.. Today i was riding around 48kmph on 6th gear and absolutely no jerks.. Was never able to ride that slow on 6th gear.. Also the power delivery between the gear shifts is improved a lot..
Since I have run on all updates from 110, I can say my bike was never better than today with 117.
Bajaj really done some serous work this time.

Offline Nikhn

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 07:02:11 AM »
It looks like mileage has dropped in pure city riding conditions. Earlier before the update, I was getting around 25-26kmpl. Right now it's reduced to 23kmpl. Not that I mind the mileage but just for information. I also ride a little harsh with frequent high rpm gear changes. But it all is overcome by the amazing performance of the update.

Offline pgn

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 11:04:37 PM »
I updated the ECU to 117 on 30/06/18 when i went for my regular service at 18K odo at Khivraj Kasturba road. Initially i was hesitant to update the ECU because i was not facing any issues or i was OK with the current behavior of the bike. Also being an engineer working in automotive filed especially for ABS and ESP ECU's we usually don't recommend to update the ECU SW without a proper reason. After production usually only bug fix software's are released for market re-flash. Performance improvements will usually come with model year change.  However i thought i will update the ECU to check what is the new update about because many had mentioned about smoothness in engine behavior after updating to 117.

During service i did not get any chance to ask the service engineer guys what the background of the updated SW or did Bajaj told what is the reason behind new SW release. I heard from the service engineer that they are doing the update only because the owners are asking for it. There was no concrete statement about what this update for.

Coming to the bike behavior after update, like many owners felt and expressed by word I too felt that there is a reduction in vibration and increase in smoothness. This i felt especially in my city rides where the speed could be between 30-70Kmph. Post 70Kmph there is no much of difference observed (I tested till 110 only). The reduction in vibration is noticeable and you might feel that the engine is more liner and smooth. This is great 8). I drove the bike for a complete tank to tank re fill which took me around seven days. I could remember the smoothness the bike had during the  initial days after the first service and I could say the current behavior is similar to that. But not exactly. There is less jerk too. On a B2B traffic i felt that the bike is taking bit time to jump up during a stop and go. This may be because the linear behavior or only a feeling due to my way of riding. Still this is not a big concern or to be worried.

Another observations is an increase in exhaust sound. Feels it became bit more loud. But still OK or manageable. Not a big deal. Bike Rpm limit stays at 9.5K which is same as stock limit.

There is no change in brake behavior. Before taking the delivery i made sure that the brake and ABS is functional by testing at Kasturba parking lot itself. Brakes and ABS behaves normally.

The sad part comes with the fuel economy  :(. It is reduced and i could notice it clearly. I used to get a city mileage of 27-29Kmpl :D :D and now it is ~23Kmpl  :o :-[ :-[. I used to check bike economy by tank to tank method and for this i waited a week. During my usual driving i was very happy with the smooth riding behavior and i thought i might get a good mileage too (If that was the case i would have been lucky  ::)). But i think Bajaj don't want us to be happy in all the way  :P. May be in future there could be a change. Hope for the best.

Offline pgn

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 08:47:40 AM »
I updated the ECU to 117 on 30/06/18 when i went for my regular service at 18K odo at Khivraj Kasturba road. Initially i was hesitant to update the ECU because i was not facing any issues or i was OK with the current behavior of the bike. Also being an engineer working in automotive filed especially for ABS and ESP ECU's we usually don't recommend to update the ECU SW without a proper reason. After production usually only bug fix software's are released for market re-flash. Performance improvements will usually come with model year change.  However i thought i will update the ECU to check what is the new update about because many had mentioned about smoothness in engine behavior after updating to 117.

During service i did not get any chance to ask the service engineer guys what the background of the updated SW or did Bajaj told what is the reason behind new SW release. I heard from the service engineer that they are doing the update only because the owners are asking for it. There was no concrete statement about what this update for.

Coming to the bike behavior after update, like many owners felt and expressed by word I too felt that there is a reduction in vibration and increase in smoothness. This i felt especially in my city rides where the speed could be between 30-70Kmph. Post 70Kmph there is no much of difference observed (I tested till 110 only). The reduction in vibration is noticeable and you might feel that the engine is more liner and smooth. This is great 8). I drove the bike for a complete tank to tank re fill which took me around seven days. I could remember the smoothness the bike had during the  initial days after the first service and I could say the current behavior is similar to that. But not exactly. There is less jerk too. On a B2B traffic i felt that the bike is taking bit time to jump up during a stop and go. This may be because the linear behavior or only a feeling due to my way of riding. Still this is not a big concern or to be worried.

Another observations is an increase in exhaust sound. Feels it became bit more loud. But still OK or manageable. Not a big deal. Bike Rpm limit stays at 9.5K which is same as stock limit.

There is no change in brake behavior. Before taking the delivery i made sure that the brake and ABS is functional by testing at Kasturba parking lot itself. Brakes and ABS behaves normally.

The sad part comes with the fuel economy  :(. It is reduced and i could notice it clearly. I used to get a city mileage of 27-29Kmpl :D :D and now it is ~23Kmpl  :o :-[ :-[. I used to check bike economy by tank to tank method and for this i waited a week. During my usual driving i was very happy with the smooth riding behavior and i thought i might get a good mileage too (If that was the case i would have been lucky  ::)). But i think Bajaj don't want us to be happy in all the way  :P. May be in future there could be a change. Hope for the best.

Update on fuel economy: Its back to normal i feel now. Today after third refueling after 117 update i observed my #Domi is giving around 29Kmpl mileage. Attached the recent two fuel readings and fuel efficiency chart.