Coolant issue / Coolant leaks on Dominar 400

• 44 Replies

Offline Rafiq

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Coolant issue / Coolant leaks on Dominar 400
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:28:27 PM »
Hello friends

I would like to share a problem which I am facing in Dominar.

Problem:-

Coolant drains completely (somewhere between 800-1000km ) from the reservoir tank after top-up.
This problem started around ODO 8000km and now my ODO is 25000.
During ride this is a big issue because we really don't know where exactly it is disappearing :(
There are possibility for it to mix with engine oil and damage your engine.

Reason & Solution:-

There where multiple reasons given by service centre guys which they will try to fix as per the order below.

1. Airlock

They said that there are chances of airlock inside the radiator tank which is causing the coolent to disappear suddenly from the reservoir.
To fix this they drained entire coolent and will top-up again. After 500km test if this doesn't fix then point two.

2. Faulty tank or pipes

They will use a chalk to mark at each joints to check if any minute leak is there which is not visible. If they don't find any then step three.

3. Faulty coolent pump seal

This has been the main culprit for most of the bikes which had this problem.
Faulty coolent pump seal will let the Coolent mix with oil and will damage your engine as time gose hence changing this seal if faulty can fix this issue.. again 500km+ test sometimes they may ask you to try another 500km if no result then 😉

4. Replace engine head gasket

This is where it hurts for every owner.
They will bring your engine down and replace engine head gasket suspecting coolent to vaporiz here..now you will have to try 1000km coz first 500km SC(service centre) would ask you to maintain a speed less than 80kmph...if not fixed then..

5. Faulty Radiator.

Now SC will replace your radiator assembly and would ask you to try again.. if not fixed then comes the most painful thing..😟😞😣

6. Faulty packing sealant between the engine.

They will get your engine down again and will split it into two half horizontally from centre, apply some paste and fix your engine back.. after this I lost pickup and my engine was not smooth 😩😩
Again if issue not fixed..

7. Faulty engine head assembly.

They will get your engine down again and replace engine head..this was the last thing I tried and was upset when did not fix....

Bajaj SC wanted me to leave my bike there for 3 days for them to find the problem..I did not agree and have asked them to escalate to bajaj. The case is with Bajaj now and will update here if I get any response.... Please comment if you have any update on this.

Thank you.

The image is an example for 150km ride witnessed by SC guys.

Offline Naveen

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Coolent issue on Dominar 400
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:01:40 PM »
I thought that I was the only one facing this particular issue! Do post the resolution once you find it. If I take it to any Bajaj SC, they say that they're seeing this issue for the very first time!  :-\

Offline Rafiq

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:57:16 PM »
I have 12 bike from Bangalore who I know has this issue..take Ur bike to sc and show this post... please don't ask them to fix this issue as they are not even aware of this problem..take it to different SC...else yours will be a test bike..

Offline Kamlesh

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:36:46 AM »
We are thinking, it's a small issue. But this is big issue with Dominar because they not able to fixed. Same condition with my Dominar. When I informed to SC related to coolant oil problem they said keep ur bike for 3days in SC we will monitor. I did same what they told. But still am facing same.

Offline Aneesh M

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
Well, i am facing the exact same issue.. My coolant issue started exactly after the 4th service to be precise where my ODO was somewhere round 12500 odd kms..after that my coolant issues have significantly started, every 500 to 600 odd kms the coolant has drained like crazy.. when i visited SC he just topped up and gave me..i thought my issue was solved..Dang, again after some 500 kms same issue..Dropped my bike for SC..he went ahead and checked, SC technician told me there is no visible leaks nor any issues unlike mixing with oil.. and again he refilled and asked me to test, that was when at around 400 odd kms my entire coolant was burned... Now comes the time again, Dropped my bike to SVC again, he said exactly the same thing like last time and told that in sub tank coolant was empty and and he kept for monitoring for almost around 2 and a half days..he asked me to test it for next 1000 kms, lucky enough bike has done around 600 Odd kms now, but the coolant is staying above minimum atleast, i am expecting it to drain completely in next 150 or 200 kms..So i really think bajaj should take this issue very seriously.. It's so sad to see that many are facing these many issues and bajaj has'nt taken any interest in this..It hurts when a bike of such calibre gives issues like these. I Just hope Bajaj solves these issues for us..Keeping my fingers crossed..  :(

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
 i am facing the exact same issue, the coolant level drops within 500km from full to almost empty.Do post the resolution once you find it

Offline Rafiq

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 04:53:39 PM »
Let's c what Bajaj has to update

Offline AshwinHSR

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »
I have this issue from somewhere around 18K kms during February 2018 after i did my 4 day trip to South Belt ride. Currently done with 24k kms. Starting from 18K, the complete Coolant unit started behaving weird. I had informed SC when i gave the bike for service and they had tightened some bolts and just said that they have fixed some loose parts and I might need to give the bike for 3-4 working days in case problem repeated. Within 500 kms post that service, my coolant reservoir tank completely drained from more than max to less than min level. When contacting SC again, i was asked to wait due to non availability of replacement spares needed to fix the issue. I did a coolant top-up and got additional coolant bottle for topping up @ home. Issue continued. In 2 weeks, i was asked to give the bike for 3 days to fix the issue which I gave around 22k ODO. Got the engine oil  and Oil seal replaced. Still issues persists. Did a top up of coolant now and waiting  for coolant level to drop. Daily ride is 90kms :) Hoping for some permanent fix soon. :)

Offline Adarsh.raikar

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant issue / Coolant leaks on Dominar 400
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 08:51:12 PM »
Hi All,

Even I am facing a similar coolent drain issue . I recently purchased my bike and after just 400km I see my coolent is completely drained I reported this to SC and they re-filled it . I will update the forum in some days on this issue because I have not ridden the bike  for too long.

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 09:48:49 AM »
Even i too faced the same issue with my Dominar 400. The coolant leaked into the engine oil and caused a bubbly layer to form over the engine oil. The SC opened my engine, flushed and cleaned the engine, replaced the crankshaft assembly (under warranty), replaced head gasket, changed the seals and made me pay about rs2,700. the issue occured at 10,000kms, now its past 12,000kms without any issues so far. I have ridden short weekend trips to Coorg and Lepakshi.

Actually, coolant leakage issue has been there in KTM Duke 390. Since this bike shares a lot of components from the old version of KTM Duke 390, i feel it has inherited Duke's issues too.. However, i am hoping this issue wouldn't return. i was currently planning a rode to Trivandrum from Bangalore by 24th June. I hope everything remains fine.

Offline Rafiq

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 01:43:52 PM »
Replacing the crankshaft assembly is some thing new lets c..
Thank you Robin  :)

Offline Rafiq

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 11:51:37 PM »
Just had a chat with SC guy

He said he spoke to Giri Bajaj guy and He wants me to ride my bike till the coolent tank is empty, both main and reservoir 😡.
(Main tank contains 750ml and reservoir 250 ml) ride untill the bike stops with temperature warning 😠 I must let them know how much coolent is left in main tank.

More than 6 months no resolution no proper update. I feel I should have bought a hathi ..at least resale value is good😖...

They have tested and checked my bike I have no clue y they are doing all this

Offline DC

• +1/-0
  • One Life Live It
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 07:11:45 PM »
Hi Rafiq, for sure there is some issue somewhere it after even doing everything and changing the parts which could be b d culprit the problem still exists then this is a serious issue.Try again to fix it by complaining to Bajaj and hope some permanent solution is provided. Sorry to hear alot of fellow riders facing this issue n hope we get a solution soon. ride safe Bro enjoy Ooty.

Offline Nithin E V

• +0/-0
  • Travel Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »
Hello All, Let me also put down my story here!
My Dominar is an year and 3 months old. And has covered 18k kms till now.

I STARTED FACING COOLANT DRAINING/CONSUMPTION ISSUE FROM LAST 3000 kms.

Initially I didnt know much about this, so I used to top-up my coolant every time it went down - that used to be within 700-800 kms gap.

Recently i had given my bike for full service at Khivraj, Kasturba Road, to address this issue. They told me that, my coolant was mixing with engine oil. The optimal level of 1.4L was at 1.8L. So they said engine oil needed to be replaced(the motul 7100 was replaced back to Bajaj before even i could ride 3000 kms)
They also replaced the "water pump rotor & seal" - thats 300 rs.

Now just after a week and 185 kms, my bike is again at the same service centre under "paid repair" category - COOLANT HAS DRAINED AGAIN - JUST IN 185 kms.

This is so sad, as I had plans for a very long ride this month end!

Waiting for their call now to see what they did or what they found!

Will keep updating!!

Update #2 :received call from service center guy - khivraj kasturba
"Sir, seems your pump seal is faulty, we need to replace that!" - I was surprised at the fact that they had replaced the same last week!
When i told him this, he cudnt acknowledge the fact that  i had infact serviced my bike there past week - i had to provide him the invoice number!
So question here is : Did they really replace the pump seal last time or was it just in papers?

Further he told me to wait a day more so that they can check further - the pipes, coolant section, radiator, etc.

He said he will call me tmrw at 1 pm. I cant take my bike back today!

Update #3 : service people had called me again the next day - and instead of good news, they asked me for 2 more days to inspect the issue.

So two days later, i am again getting call saying that the issue is with engine gasket and they have ordered a new one for me which needs to come from the plant itself. **Bullsh***.. and now the time they need is 3-4 days more.

Time since my bike is in the service center = 4 days
have to wait 3-4 days more.
EV

Offline Rafiq

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
Just had conversations with Giri (he is an engineer representing Bajaj for Karnataka) he wanted to personally inspect the bike for one or 2 days and give an update. Note: have not dropped email yet